SNV participated in the 4th ARE Investment Forum
About the conference
The annual ARE Forum has become the key milestone event where the clean energy off-grid sector gather together to learn more about upcoming new support schemes and public sector initiatives as well as the latest industry trends and product and service innovations from the private sector. The theme of this year’s event was Integrating Remote Communities into Economies.
SNV at the Event
On 14 March, Dean moderated a side meeting which considered the current strategy of the SEforAll Mini-Grids Partnership (MGP). As chair of the MGP Steering Committee, he looked at how mini-grids can play a key role in reaching SDG7 and also upcoming opportunities for the industry. He also asked participants to propose and discuss other relevant MGP initiatives for the coming year. This reflected well the positive relationship that has been established between SNV with ARE for the operation of the Mini-Grids Partnership, together with the UN Foundation that co-manages the Secretariat with ARE.
SE4RC Mashaba Minigrid: Zimbabwe's First Inclusive Solar Minigrid
In 2015, SNV in partnership with Practical Action and the Dabane Trust, with funds from the European Union, the OPEC Fund for International development and UNDP GEF Small Grants Programme started to implement the Sustainable Energy for Rural Communities (SE4RC) project in Gwanda District in Matabeleland South Province to provide sustainable energy in the area.
The project has established a solar powered mini-grid generating 99 kilowatts. This mini grid is providing energy access to at least 10,000 people, powering Mashaba Primary School, Mashaba Clinic, as well as three irrigation schemes and two business centres.
- To learn more about SNV’s projects and initiatives in decentralized renewable energy.
- To read more about our mini –grid Mashaba programme in Zimbabwe.
- To see a video which demonstrates clean energy coming to Mashaba and an overview of Zimbabwe's first inclusive Solar Mini-grid
- Read more about Results-Based Financing our innovative financing approach helping to ignite markets in last mile areas.
- Read about SNV’s flagship Project Results Based Financing (RBF) for Rural Market Development of Pico-Solar. With the support of partners EnDev and DFID this project will bring energy access to 360,000 people in rural Tanzania.