On 6 August 2019, a kick-off meeting for the Biogas Innovation Fund (BIF) was held at SNV's Vietnam Office in Hanoi. The ceremony marked the official signing of contracts between SNV and award-winning applicants coming from the public, private and civil sector.
The event was attended by representatives of SNV Vietnam including Ms. Alison Rusinow, Country Director for Vietnam, Mr. Bastiaan Teune, Sector Leader for Energy, the Biogas Programme Management Unit, and the award-winning applicants as well as local media agencies.
A total of €93,000 is granted to selected projects aiming to address limitations in the biogas market. Bastiaan Teune explains the need to offer composite biogas models that meet the demands of bigger farms; appliances to valorize unused biogas; and biodigesters suitable for feedstock other than livestock manure, given the current pig-disease outbreak.
BIF is an initiative in the third phase of Vietnam Biogas Programme (2016-2020) funded by GIZ/ Energizing Development (EnDev) and carbon finance, and implemented by SNV and the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.
Out of 15 submitted proposals, 9 proposals from the following actors were selected:
1. Can Tho University - Optimizing the tube biodigester model for farm waste including hyacinth, awarded VND 255,000,000
2. Can Tho University - High efficiency, low pressure operating biogas cookstoves, awarded VND 78,000,000
3. Son Ha Development of Renewable Energy JSC – Biodigester model for domestic kitchen waste, awarded VND 260,000,000
4. La Duc Tai Biogas enterprise - Improved technology concrete biodigester, awarded VND 260,000,000
5. EGREEN Technology JSC - Development of a biogas filtration system, awarded VND 260,000,000
6. KANKYO Vietnam Joint Stock Company - Biogas sharing piping to households, awarded VND 234,700,000
7. Thanh Dong Production-Trade-Service - Composite biodigester with larger volumes, awarded VND 489,400,000
8. Ha Tinh University – Biogas heating system for livestock, awarded VND 78,000,000
9. ATEC Biodigesters International (Cambodia)– Vietnam market for larger volume biodigester model, awarded EUR 19,500